Electric Vehicles: Tesla specific talk, current firmware, purchasing, modifications

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
But are they going to grow the market?

Some will jump based on price, but there are already a few cheaper EV's from non-Chinese companies for those on a strict budget. So what will a Chinese EV get them?

A lower price, some predicting $25K - $30K for lower end models for people who cannot spend a lot of money for an EV. Depending on who you believe there are somewhere between 300 and 500 EV manufacturers in China - an astonishing number. Let's say 10 to 20 manufacturers (around 5% of 300) end up exporting EVs to the US. I think that would have a major impact on the current EV market, assuming the cars are decent (I think they will be).

Currently BYD, a major Chinese manufacturer (15% EV market share, right behind Tesla in 1st place), is aiming to setup a factory in Mexico. The reason is EV imports from China incur a 25% tariff. Chinese EVs manufactured and imported from Mexico only incur a 2.5% tariff. I think that's going to shake up the US EV market, and could be a factor of Apple not going forward with their EV, and Musk behaving strangely re Tesla, lately).

But... In yesterday's news, it was reported that Biden is pushing for a 100% tariff on Chinese EVs. I don't know if that would also apply to Chinese EVs manufactured in Mexico - perhaps it will be less (doubtful considering the current concern about Chinese EVs)

So who knows how this will shake out. I do think a lot of current EV manufacturers are concerned.